Toothache, also referred to as Dental Pain or Dentalgia, is the most common dental emergency. Toothache refers to the pain in the teeth and their supporting structures, which is triggered by dental diseases or pain referred to the teeth by non-dental diseases.
What are the most common causes of Toothache?
- Pulpitis (inflammation of pulp)
- Dental Caries
- Dental Trauma
- Dentin Hypersensitivity
- Tooth Abscess
- Tooth fracture
- A damaged filling
- Infected Gums
- Apical Periodontitis (inflammation of periodontal ligament and alveolar bone)
- Alveolar Osteitis
- Trench Mouth ( a gum infection)
- Acute Pericoronitis of Lower Wisdom Tooth
How can Toothache be treated? The kind of treatment you receive largely depends upon the cause of your toothache. Dentists, after making a complete oral examination may suggest the following treatments:
- If toothache is due to cavity, dentists may fill the cavity or extract your tooth.
- If loose or broken filling is causing the problem, the dentist may put new filling in the place after clearing out the decayed or the broken one.
- Root canal treatment may be suggested for treating the infected gums.
- Pain medicines or antibiotics may be prescribed to speed up healing.
- Treatment of TMJ may involve surgery, stress minimizing techniques and mouth guard to check the tooth grinding.
- To lessen the pain and inflammation associated with toothache, Phototherapy with cold laser may be used.
How to prevent Toothaches? Toothaches can be prevented by strictly following a hygienic oral regime and by keeping your gums and teeth as healthy as possible. For healthy gums and teeth, you need to follow the below listed practices:
- Brush your teeth at least twice a day with a fluoride containing toothpaste
- Floss at least for once in a day to clean between your teeth
- Visit your dentists for regular and scheduled dental check-ups and professional cleanings
- Eat healthy diet; consume less sugary foods and drinks
- Do not smoke, as smoking can worsen certain dental problems
Contact Dr. Bikram Singh DMD for the professional and state-of-art treatment of acute and chronic dental problems. We not only provide treatment for the current ailments but also educate you by providing oral hygiene instructions that help you to check the recurrence of dental problems.